Teaching Credential Requirements
Students seeking admission to either the single- or multiple-subject teaching credential program must submit:
- Completed application
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- Three (3) character references
- Documentation of recent TB test
- Personal statement
- CBEST scores. (Those who score five or more points below passing on the CBEST must take an appropriate remedial mathematics and/or English course as needed.)
Academic requirements for teaching credential programs may be met by submitting documents and transcripts showing one of the following:
- Multiple Subject Credential candidates: completion of an acceptable baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution – minimum GPA of 2.5; passing score on the California required subject matter examinations.
- Single Subject Credential candidates: completion of an acceptable baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution – minimum GPA of 2.5; passing score on the California required subject matter examination(s), or completion of a CTC designated major waiver program from a California institution with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
Note: The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) establishes five options that can be utilized to meet the state requirements for acceptance by all Teaching Credential Programs (ref: CTC, CIA 07-02). These options are detailed in the Patten University Division of Education Admissions Handbook, available from the Patten University Division of Education Office.